We have all been instructed at one time or another to use a white pillar candle for cleansing a room or as an object of focus in meditation. Problem is that the end instruction to that advice is not said.
Do use a candle for cleansing, focus , illumination, ambiance. I always recommend pure beeswax or white unscented. Please note that "fresh scent"or "mildly scented" do not qualify. What we consider pleasant & fresh can trigger migraines, asthmatic attacks & serious allergic reaction in others. There is no such thing as "just a little scent.
You have purchased your white unscented or pure beeswax candles. Now light them, use them for meditation or cleansing or what whatever your purpose.
Now it's time to end the session. What do you do?
If you are like most people, you blow out the candle-fire safety and all that. Never leave a lighted candle unattended.
You just created the most common error in using candles.
The lit candle has been absorbing and taking in negative energies of the room/space cleansing it.
Good job. Now the smoke coming up from the wick is releasing all that negativity back into the room. You are no better off than you were before.
The remedy to this is simple. Just put a small container (no more than a quarter cup of water is necessary) near the candle or put the candle in a dish that has water in it. This can be ordinary tap water- you don't need to go out & buy distilled water or anything.
This way when you blow out the candle, the negativity will be drawn to the water where it is trapped. The negativity is moved from the room air to the dish of water.
Now you must dispose of that water very carefully. Being careful not to touch the water, throw it away outside or flush it down the toilet. It needs return to the mineral kingdom to be regenerated and reprocessed.
A very simple thing to do & it will make such a big difference!